St Patrick’s Celebrates its Golden Jubilee
Sunday, 11th September 2016 marked the 50th Anniversary of the Consecration of St Patrick’s RC church In Sandon Road, Stafford.
To celebrate this significant milestone in the history of St Patrick’s, a thanksgiving Mass was celebrated by Bishop David McGough and Parish Priest Fr. Edgar Dizon
Parishioners, family and friends filled the church to capacity with guests of honour being the Mayor and Mayoress of Stafford, Councillor Geoffrey Collier and his wife Mrs Catherine Collier.
Children from the church’s Children’s Liturgy Group and from St Patrick’s Primary School (part of Holy Trinity Catholic Multi Academy Company) contributed to the Mass with their songs especially chosen for the occasion.
A party was held in the school hall after Mass, with parishioners and friends contributing food and drinks. Bishop David McGough watched by Fr. Dizon and the Mayor and Mayoress cut the celebratory cake which fittingly depicted St Patrick. This was a wonderful celebration of a local community achievement.
The church site in Sandon Road was bought in 1921 and commenced January 1951 when the Foundation Stone was laid by Archbishop J. Masterson on 7th June 1951. It was opened by Bishop H Bright on 30th June 1953 and consecrated by Archbishop G.P. Dwyer on 3rd September some 13 years later after many fundraising events and collections.